According to the latest updated 2011 Reported Maritime Security Incidents – The MSR Rolling Total currently stands at:
• 373 total number of incidents as at 30 Jun 11
• 273 incidents of piracy or attempted piracy. *
• 37 incidents of piracy & hijack of vessels.
• 62 incidents of robbery at anchorages.
• Total 88 incidents of robbery or attempted robbery at anchorages or berths.
• 3 Political incidents.
• 9 Acts of Terrorism.
* This includes 10 incidents where the crew have locked themselves into a ‘citadel’ while the pirates were in board. The pirates failed to gain control of the vessel and abandoned the vessel usually after doing some damage.