According to the latest updated 2011 Reported Maritime Security Incidents – The MSR Rolling Total currently stands at:
• 423 total number of incidents as at 31 Jul 11
• 301 incidents of piracy or attempted piracy. *
• 40 incidents of piracy & hijack of vessels.
• 81 incidents of robbery at anchorages.**
• Total 109 incidents of robbery or attempted robbery at anchorages or berths.
• 4 Political incidents.
• 9 Acts of Terrorism.
* This includes 10 incidents where the crew have locked themselves into a ‘citadel’
while the pirates were in board. The pirates failed to gain control of the vessel
and abandoned the vessel usually after doing some damage.
** There have been two incidents of tankers being hijacked off Benin/Nigeria and their cargo stolen. It is believed to be the work of a gang, possibly Nigerian.
The Rolling Totals data is provided by IMS, and verified from a range of open sources.