The Rolling Total of reported maritime security incidents continues to grow, and the following are the figures up the end of April 2011. They make grim reading, as you might imagine.
• 248 total number of incidents as at 30 Apr 11
• 191 incidents of piracy or attempted piracy. *
• 27 incidents of piracy & hijack of vessels.
• 29 incidents of robbery at anchorages.
• Total 47 incidents of robbery or attempted robbery at anchorages or berths.
• 2 Political incidents.
• 8 Acts of Terrorism.
* This includes 10 incidents where the crew have locked themselves into a ‘citadel’ while the pirates were onboard. The pirates failed to gain control of the vessel and abandoned the vessel usually after doing some damage.
For full details of the data including a breakdown of attacks, type, etc contact us at MSR.