Strikes In Puerto Rico Cause Cruise Ships To Cancel San Juan Port Calls
July 22: A national strike in Puerto Rico has caused some cruise ships to skip calls on San Juan this week.
MSC Seaside and Celebrity Equinox canceled stops at the port today. In lieu of the San Juan call, Celebrity Equinox — which is currently a charter cruise — continued on to St. Thomas, its next scheduled port. MSC Seaside opted for an extended stay in St. Maarten.
The strike follows violent protests that started last week in Old San Juan after a number of private messages from the governor of Puerto Rico, Ricardo Rossello, were revealed to the public. The texts employed homophobic and misogynistic language, among other insults, and resulted in thousands — including high-profile Puerto Ricans like Ricky Martin and Lin-Manuel Miranda — calling for the governor’s resignation.
Two cruise lines are scheduled to call on San Juan tomorrow, July 23 — Royal Caribbean’s Anthem of the Seas and Carnival Conquest.
On July 16, Royal Caribbean’s Empress of the Seas was 3 miles outside of San Juan when the cruise line made a decision to cancel the planned port stop due to the riots. The following day, Royal Caribbean’s Harmony of the Seas followed suit, skipping a scheduled call on San Juan and proceeding to its next destination — St. Maarten.
“Concern for the safety and wellbeing of our guests and crew members is our top priority,” Owen Torres, Royal Caribbean’s manager of corporate communications, told Cruise Critic.
Royal Caribbean’s Freedom of the Seas called as scheduled yesterday, July 21. Carnival Fascination also called on San Juan yesterday. Both cruise lines homeport in San Juan, and both ships were in port to disembark passengers from one sailing and board passengers for another cruise.
“We are monitoring the situation and will let our guests know if there are any changes,” Vance Gulliksen, public relations manager for Carnival, told Cruise Critic. “So far, all visits to San Juan remain as scheduled.”
Source: Cruise Critic / Sarah Gibson