According to the latest updated 2011 Reported Maritime Security Incidents – The MSR Rolling Total currently stands at:
• 563 total number of incidents as at 31 Oct11
• 382 incidents of piracy or attempted piracy. *
• 48 incidents of piracy & hijack of vessels.
• 110 incidents of robbery at anchorages.
• Total 163 incidents of robbery or attempted robbery at anchorages or berths.
• 6 Political incidents.
• 12 Acts of Terrorism.
* This includes 17 incidents where the crew have locked themselves into a ‘citadel’
while the pirates were in board. The pirates failed to gain control of the vessel
and abandoned the vessel usually after doing some damage.