Pirates attacks will resume
Concern that shipping believes the threat is over.
Pirates attacks will resume if ship owners let their guard down, warn former hostages
DUBAI // Somali pirates would strike again as soon as alert levels decline, as they believe ship owners would eventually scale back their defences, said a former hostage held captive by the pirates for four years.
“We would hear the pirates talk about how the armed guards would be on ships for only two to three years and then they could start capturing ships again,” said Mohammed Bisthamy, 60, an engineer among 11 sailors of the MV Albedo who escaped on June 7.
They were being held captive on shore by a gang of Somali pirates after their vessel sank in July last year.
To continue reading, please click here.