ReCAAP round up
Slight increase in incidents, year on year.
ReCAAP has issued its piracy and maritime crime figures for August.
Piracy and Sea Robbery Situation in Asia in August 2018
• A total of eight incidents (comprising seven actual incidents and one attempted incident) of armed robbery against ships were reported in Asia in August 2018
• No piracy incident was reported
• There was no report of abduction of crew in the Sulu-Celebes Seas, and no hijacking of ships for theft of oil cargo reported in August 2018
• All incidents have been verified and reported to ReCAAP ISC by ReCAAP Focal Points, Contact Point and regional authorities
• Compared to the preceding month of July 2018, the number of incidents reported in August 2018 has decreased slightly
• A total of nine incidents were reported in July 2018 compared to eight incidents in August 2018
• Of the eight incidents reported in August 2018, six incidents occurred on board ships at anchor/berth and two incidents on board ships while underway
• Of the seven actual incidents reported in August 2018, one was CAT 2 incident and the other six were CAT 4 incidents
• A total of 57 incidents comprising of 45 actual incidents and 12 attempted incidents have been verified and reported to the ReCAAP ISC during January-August 2018
• Of these, 54 were incidents of armed robbery against ships and three were piracy incidents
• Compared to January-August 2017, there was a 5% increase in the total number of incidents reported during January-August 2018
• A total of 54 incidents comprising 46 actual and eight attempted incidents were reported during January-August 2017